How much does it cost to collect and dispose of residential garbage?
- The average cost in 2009 was $61 per household or $17.4 million per year.
How do we pay for garbage service?
- You pay for it on your property taxes, which is about 4.5% of your tax bill.
How much does the recycling program cost?
- The total cost of the recycling program was $9.8 million in 2009.
- The net cost of the program after grants and the sale of recyclable material was $3.7 million – approximately $13 per household.
How do you pay for the cost of the recycling program?
We pay for the program through the Solid Waste Utility, which receives revenue from:
- the sale of recyclables,
- Manitoba Product Stewardship Corporation which provided $5.1 million in support in 2009. MPSC is a provincial government agency that funded 80% of the net cost of residential recycling in Manitoba, and
- disposal charges at the Brady Road Landfill
How much revenue is made from selling the recyclable material?
The revenue fluctuates from year-to-year based on the demand for each of the materials. Over the past five years, the price per tonne of the total basket of recyclables has ranged from a low of $49.83 to a high of $107.63.
What does garbage and recycling cost the City?
- $75 per tonne in 2009 – one of the lowest among Canadian cities
- includes garbage from all residential and a small number of commercial properties
- $15.13 per tonne in 2009 – one of the lowest among Canadian cities
- includes the maintenance and environmental monitoring of the 34 closed landfills
- comes from residential, commercial, industrial, and other municipalities that use the Brady Road Landfill
- $75 per tonne in 2009 – one of the lowest among major Canadian cities
- includes the curbside blue box collection program, Leaf-it depots, Chip-It depots, a backyard composing program, and 7 recycling depots
What does this mean for the Garbage and Recycling Master Plan?
As we move towards creating a master plan for garbage, recycling and composting services in our city, we need to ask:
- How much should we pay for these services?
- How should we pay for these services?