Phase 1 started the conversation about the future of garbage and recycling services in Winnipeg. Wewant to understand what is important to you. We talked about vision and goals, and really set the stage for the rest of the process. We launched Phase 1 with our SpeakUp on Garbage Expo on November 13, 2010. Some milestones we achieved were:
- launched our website,
- engaged our consultant,
- conducted surveys to gather feedback, and
- met with our Stakeholder Advisory Committee to ensure we were on the right track.
You can download these reports here:
- Phase 1 Public Participation Report (pdf)
- Phase 1 Phone Survey Report (pdf)
- Phase 1 Web-link Survey Report (pdf)
Winnipeggers are passionate about garbage and have expressed a keen desire:
- For more public education and awareness, and to get more people participating in our programs.
- For composting – curbside, backyard, vermi-composting, and community depots.
- For more ways to recycle, and for information on the end use of the materials and the best use for the materials.
- For more reuse opportunities – through weekend giveaways, trading left-over materials between businesses, and donations to charity.
- For a well-functioning landfill that is a place to get valuable material and resources, a source of energy, and a place that protects public health and the environment.
With all this public input and research, we have developed the Vision and Guiding Principles for the Garbage and Recycling Master Plan. This phase has been the basis for developing the Phase 2 Options .