[jump to transcript]

Increasing our diversion, providing a uniform level of service for garbage, recycling and organics throughout the city and supporting the licensing process for Brady Landfill are some of the main goals for the Garbage and Recycling Master Plan.

There are many short, mid and long-term options to raise our diversion. Getting to 50% can’t happen overnight, but there are a lot of things we could do over the next few years that would get us most of the way there.

Program or goal (Preliminary concept) within 5 years within 10 years
Community recovery depots x
Increased recycling services x
Equivalent garbage collection service x
Yard waste composting program x
Organic waste program x
Increased diversion – 35%-45% x
Increased diversion – over 50% x

What can we do?

We currently divert 17% of our residential waste. Within the next 5 years, we have the potential to increase that to at least 37%. In the next 5 to 20 years we can build on earlier successes and work towards increasing our diversion to more than 50%.

The following options are based on the Guiding Principles of the Plan developed in Phase 1 and follow the Waste Hierarchy of: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Recover and Residuals (disposal).

Reducing & Reusing

• Prevents material from entering the waste stream
  • Targets durable goods that don’t belong in the waste stream
  • Diverts up to 10,000 tonnes per year (additional 3%)

Recycling

• Provides a blue recycling cart or a blue box to each single family home
  • Diverts up to 72,000 tonnes per year (additional 7%)

Recovering

• Establish community depots to recover and reuse valuable items from the waste stream – diverts another 3% per depot
  • Implement curbside yard waste collection  - diverts another 1 – 6%
  • Implement curbside organics collection – diverts another 12%

Residuals (garbage disposal)

• Implement a fair and uniform garbage service
  • Recommend automated collection system
  • Recommend phasing out AutoBins

Brady Landfill

All of these options would result in positive changes and impacts to Brady Landfill.

• less garbage buried requires less long term care of facility
  • less toxic liquids to be captured and treated
  • less greenhouse gas emissions
  • extends lifespan of landfill

Where can I learn more?

For more information on these options:

There will also be open houses and round tables in March where you’ll have an opportunity to provide feedback and ask City staff questions. See the Events Calendar for more information.

Video Transcript

Hi, I’m Darryl Drohomerski, Manager of Solid Waste Services for the City of Winnipeg.

Last fall, Winnipeggers shared their vision for garbage and recycling services for Winnipeg.

There were several important themes the came out of this. Residents told us they wanted:

• More ways to divert our waste, especially organics,
  • A uniform level of service for garbage, recycling and organics collection throughout the city, and
  • Better services for recycling collection from single family homes.

Based on what we heard, we’ve developed some options for garbage, recycling and organic programs in Winnipeg that we need your feedback on.

These options will help us:

• Reduce the amount of garbage we produce,
  • Increase the amount we recycle and compost, and
  • Reduce the harmful effects of burying garbage in our landfill.

We invite you to learn about these options and to give us your feedback here on SpeakUpWinnipeg.com or at open houses and round tables in March.

Thanks again and let’s continue the conversation.

Comments for this post are now closed.

55 Responses to Options for Garbage, Recycling and Organics

1. Mike says:

I look at the table "Cost of Keeping Garbage Out of the Landfill" and can just imagine the average Winnipegger's response (and probably most of city hall) – "This is going to cost me how much? Then forget it."

Is this merely a question of optics? What are the economic benefits of increasing diversion? What about pointing out that if we all produced less waste to begin with that waste collection would be much cheaper overall (i.e. low volume waste producers are currently subsidizing services for high volume producers)? Can costs be offset somewhat by charging by the volume of waste we produce (I see this possibility with the rolling bins) and the proposed charges for large item pickup?

• SpeakUpWinnipeg says:

Hi Mike,

Winnipeggers have said that they want to divert more from the landfill. We know that some of these improvements may come with a cost now, but there are also long-term cost savings.

Reducing and Reusing are the first steps on the Waste Hierarch which is one of the Guiding Principles of this plan.

The recommendation to automated carts will lower costs versus current collection methods in two ways: increased collection efficiency and less garbage being landfilled. Less material in our landfills means lower costs for management of the landfill in the future. Landfill management costs include the capture of greenhouse gasses and the treatment of Leachate. In the automated cart area, there is a standard cart size. Residents can upgrade to a larger cart for an annual fee. So there is a cost associated with the volume of garbage generated for homes served by automated carts.

These cost figures provided in Phase 2 are preliminary, and once the options have been determined, more detailed projections (of costs and savings) can be made.

2. Jennifer says:

I think that the options outlined in this section are a good idea but much too lax. I wonder why, when we know what needs to be done, the powers that be are too afraid to tell the public at large? We know that we need to make changes yesterday and they need to be drastic if we want to make any kind of meaningful impact and yet we make a 5 and 10 year plan?
    I would be willing to pay to have my compost picked up and I think there should be a large fee for having over a standard amount of waste per week. The main reasons that more people don't already compost and recycle everything they can is a lack of education on the consequences and lack of motivation by society. If we can't teach people the harm they are doing by not recycling or composting then we need to make it cost more to motivate them to learn.
    For the city, it would create jobs to have these services offered as well as improve our image as following years behind the progressive provinces. The people that care about the environment need to support those officials brave enough to suggest more and faster changes. It is for the benefit of everyone.

3. Garth says:

Most people know that incentives work, while disincentives generally do not. Incentives make for happy taxpayers who want to work within the system. Disincentives make for disgruntled taxpayers who see reduced services and will attempt to circumvent the system. Here are some scenarios.

Problem: You want to people to recycle more.
    Incentive: Provide high capacity recycle carts with lids.
    Disincentive: Tell people to recycle but don't provide proper bins or carts. Hire a pickup service that leaves recyclables littered all over the streets and back alleys and inexplicably leaves some materials in your bin even though they aren't stuck or frozen there.

Problem: You want people to compost more.
    Incentive: Provide composite carts which are picked up weekly or bi-weekly, as in Nova Scotia (I lived there, it's a province-wide program, works great).
    Disincentive: Tell people to compost but don't provide any services.

Problem: You want people to create less household waste.
    Incentive: Provide proper alternatives, like good recycling carts and a compost service.
    Disincentive: Force people to use a rolling garbage cart. Make larger households pay for a larger or a second cart. For households that may only periodically need a larger cart (I.e. family gatherings, house guests, renovations), don't give them any options and make them drive to the landfill. To top it off, periodically decide not to empty their cart because the lid is open by 1 inch, or it's an inch too close to a snow bank (which the city put there), even though it was picked up the prior week with no problem in the exact same location. In the case of narrow back lanes (this is Winnipeg), don't bother to raise the forks on the truck so you have to drive right up against the opposite fence and knock or drive over someone's recycle bins. Lovely, now I have to buy new recycle bins.

We've had the rolling garbage carts for a year, and here's my experience:

What to do with yard waste? We mulch our grass but there's always branches, etc. that have to go somewhere and don't fit in the bin. We aren't allowed to burn them, so people just illegally dump it all at the civic centre. The city gave in and took down the 'no dumping' sign. So the civic centre is now our local dump for yard waste. Wonderful.

What to do when you have bulky items like styrofoam packaging or renovation waste after making a major purchase at a local retailer? Who's going to drive to the dump for a 1 kg load of styrofoam, so it's off to the civic centre again to dump it illegally (haven't done it myself, but it has become the norm in my neighbourhood).

What to do over the Christmas holidays when the garbage truck may not come for nearly 2 weeks? You could attempt to put everything in your rolling cart…it may not quite fit but you could hope the driver has pity on you due to the circumstances. Sorry, no. So now what? Are you going to drive to the landfill for a bag or 2 of extra garbage? I didn't think so. So it's off to the civic centre again, our new local dump. Perhaps it can be renamed to Civic Centre & Transfer Station, because that's what it is since we started using the rolling garbage carts. I'm sure the mice, rats and raccoons love the new system.

• Tanya says:

Garth,
      I see I few things wrong with what you are saying.
      1. Garbage isn't the city of WInnipeg's issue, it is its citizens issue, we must take some action to reduce our waste. If you have too much christmas holiday garbage maybe you and those you give gifts to should consider the waste it produces.
      2. Cash incentives may work for a short time, but other studies have shown are changing the soical norm can have a bigger impact. You could be a leader.
      3. Unless we want to pay a lot more taxes for the city picking up every possible piece of garbage, deal.

Yes I agree the city should take action, but us as citizens also need to show that we care and are willing to change our personal action.

• Garth says:

1. You try having 20-30 guests over for an event involving meals and presents, and not producing more garbage than a cart can hold.
        2. I never mentioned cash incentives.
        3. Our former garbage pickup worked fine, and I wasn't paying a lot more taxes then.

I already reduced our garbage (prior to the carts even), and in a normal week it's not an issue (IF they pick it up). However there are no contingency plans for the odd times when the cart isn't enough. So illegal dumping is the new norm in my neighborhood.

4. PMC says:

I like the comment from Cathy about having a 2 bag limit. Go over the limit and its another cash grab by the city. Start off with .50 per extra bag then year 2 make it .75 per and year 3 make it 1.00 per and so on and so on …. Just like photo grab cash radar/red light millions.

5. rajni says:

For people those who have PETS, PLEASE DO NOT USE PLASTIC TO THROW THEIR POOP, INSTEAD USE NEWSPAPER AND JUST ROLL THE POOP IN IT AND THROW IN THE GARBAGE. This way you have nitrogen,carbon and water is already in the poop, perfect for mother nature.

• Tanya says:

Common mistake, Although these are great elements for composting it happens in aerobic conditions. Regulations on landfills create anaerobic conditions which is the second largest source of Methane.

I do support using a non plastic poop bag, it is still not great for our city.

6. Rajni says:

I would like the companies who make plastic products pay some kind of fees to the city as well as companies using plastic products like 711, grocery stores using plastic bags etc as they are the ones who are creating the garbage because after a certain time you can not recycle the plastic. I would like to see people compost more in their neighbourhood. May be in summer months, city can have composting workshops in neighbourhoods on weekends and show them how to do composting or may be have a neighbourhood composting site. I think we should leave those big bins as it is. I live close to manitoba housing and I see so much litter on the boulevard that I have to use those blue bins to throw the garbage. I think city should also educate people living in manitoba housing how to compost and not to throw the garbage on the street. I try to keep the area around my home neat and clean but people in manitoba housing just do not think about the cleanliness. I would like some action to be taken in this regard and charge these people some kind of fees.

7. V. Seib says:

The garbage & recycling should stay as it is in the Charleswood area, which has long gravel driveways.
    It is simple to carry and put your containers (garbage cans, bags, or recycling boxes) at the front of the property the night before scheduled pick up. I don't believe that the automated cart would roll down a gravel/crushed rock driveway easily in spring, summer and fall, if at all, and trying to push it thru snow down a long driveway in winter would be difficult as well.

8. Maurice Deforel says:

Has anyone from the City of Winnipeg seriously studied the capabilities of Pronto Energy ROC Inc.

My understanding of their Orverter technology, which was developed here in Winnipeg, is that it has the capability of replacing our landfills.

It requires no outside fuel to operate, has no emissions and burns so hot that it eliminates all diseases found in the products it burns.

The heat it generates can be used to produce energy which can be used to heat and power nearby buildings.

Why is this technology not being mentioned by the City in these discussions? Are they not aware of its potential?

• SpeakUpWinnipeg says:

Hi Maurice,

This technology has not been mentioned because in Phase 2 we are looking at options for garbage, recycling and organics on a general level (i.e. Do we support a curbside organics program? Not the technology that would be used to compost it). No specific manufacturers or proprietary technologies are being considered at this time.

We are familiar with the Orverter and are aware that many other Waste to Energy (WTE) options exist in the marketplace.

Technologies like the Orverter excel at disposing materials that are difficult to manage safely such as hazardous wastes. For most of the materials that make up residential waste stream, we are basing the Phase 2 options on the Waste Hierarchy. Reusing, recycling and recovery through composting are generally lower cost than WTE, save embodied energy and return nutrients and organic material to soils.

9. Will says:

That's a good point. In the UK you had a certain size bin or number of bins depending on how many people lived in the house, and you had to fit all your garbage in the bin (if it wasn't in the bin, it didn't get collected). It makes you question what you can recycle and what you can't, and makes the garbage space more valuable.

• Will says:

Perhaps the city should make up a fridge magnet and send to everyone in the city that shows what can and can't be recycled.

I find that I have to keep reminding myself to recycle certain things, and forget what I can and can't recycle. Most kitchen bins are close to the fridge, so this would be a constant reminder and useful information, i.e. the information on this link: http://winnipeg.ca/waterandwaste/recycle/bluebox….

10. Linda Moyer says:

I live in the north west end of Winnipeg. I love my roll out garbage bin. I wish we had them for the recycle stuff. We have some neighbors who just put their paper in the recycle box and don't put anything on top it so that it blows around into neighborhood. I put out an average of 3 recycle boxes a week. It would be easier to roll one bin out and with a lid on it, it would make the neighbor cleaner.

11. Sage_Cynic says:

The best option is not bigger recycling containers, but more of them. I have a big bin now and I sometimes struggle to get it out to the backlane because it can be pretty heavy when packed. It makes more sense for people to simply obtain the number of bins that work for their household, rather than moving to bigger and bigger receptacles.

A wheeled container wouldn't work for me because it would be difficult to negotiate through my garage. (Due to the grade of my lot, there is a 4-inch curb around my garage. I'd have to heave the bin over this curb to get it into the garage and out to the backlane.)

In my view, recycling bins are the least of our problems. I'd like to see more options for recycling packaging — including those skinny plastic bags that the Free Press is using. They're useless for any other purpose (expect perhaps dog-poop collection), and it pains me to throw them into the landfill.

12. Chris says:

Regarding garbage bins: Anyone I know doesn't like them. They take up too much room in small back yards where there is little space for parking as it is. For example, in my home in the River Heights area, there is no place to put a bin. I don't have the room or the strength to wheel it out of my garage. I really dread the new bins coming to my part of the city.

13. GreenWanda says:

Why do many people want larger bins or multiple bins? How about smaller bins? I can't believe how wasteful we are. Everyone should really consider whether they really need "things" and if that item can be recycled somehow before they buy. Even recycling isn't the answer because it will eventually end up at the dump. I know that we will always be producing some waste but I can't believe how much a single family will trash just for convenience. Why do we complain that our water and air are polluted and species are disappearing at an alarming rate when we can't even use less. Easter is coming so don't forget to run out an buy all that ridiculous, meaningless crap we feel makes our holidays and lives better.

14. Walter Schurko says:

The rolling garbage cart is too small to accommodate many large articles. I find that many people take the large articles in their cars or whatever and go into areas that have dumpsters, where they dispose of everything that does not fit into the garbage cart. Does the City think that anyone with a couple of larger articles that do not fit in the cart will go to the Brady Dump, spend the time and gas? Also I understand that a lot of stuff that is taken to the recyclable plant is rejected and tons of it is sent to the dump. I cannot see how the people on the conveyer belt can possibly do a good job when the belt is moving so fast, therefore a lot of good material is also rejected. I would surmise that the reason so much material goes to the dump from the recycle plant is the City does not do a good job in advising the public in the newspaper or brochure on exactly what is recyclable and what is not. When you phone 311 for any information regarding what is recyclable or not, at times you get two different answers.

• SpeakUpWinnipeg says:

Hi Walter,

Over 95% of what comes into the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) from blue boxes is recycled. The MRF uses a combination of automated and manual sorting. Manual sorters specialise on a specific container type so sorting can be done quickly and efficiently. Because they are only looking for one product at a time, milk jugs for example, the belt can run at higher speeds.

We've posted a video tour of MRF which shows how materials are sorted: http://garbage.speakupwinnipeg.com/2010/11/mrf-vi

Thanks for your feedback.

15. Laya says:

Look at that!!! Everywhere you look on the internet type in Winnipeg and crap like this pops up about winnipeg being the worst recyclers bottom of the heap in everything.

still lagging, as the city keeps putting out these videos my name is blah blah from blah blah and we need you open. http://www.livinggreenlivingwell.ca/blog/compost-

16. NeedBigRecyclingBin says:

We live in West St. James we love the new bins that have been given out. They make garbage day so much easier. Although some of the people trying to empty them don't have a clue what they are doing. One day the lady in the truck tried to pick up the can three times and then ripped the lid off of the can she ended up getting out of the truck and emptying the can my hand and throwing it onto the ground because she was mad. The lid laying next to the can. When I came out of the house and asked what the problem was she said I don't know there is to much garbage in your can I can't pick it up. Ok then the can was full the lid was closed how can it be over filled? Nothing was packed down you pulled the bags out and throw them in the truck and broke the lid off of can?????? I noticed most of the garbage bins on our street were laying on the ground that day rather than sitting on the end of the driveways. I caulked it up to an inexperienced person running the truck. Has only happened once since that time. I would really love to receive a wheeled bin larger than the garbage bin for recycling items. I have found since we are only allowed one bin of garbage per week we (family of 6) are recycling allot more and have had to purchase more recycling bins but on garbage day the recycling bins are small and don't hold much they blow around in the wind end up emptied on the street. The people that pick them up and empty them throw them down and shatter them to pieces if they could only see me watching them from the window. If it were their bins would they be treating them that way. They are not cheep to purchase over and over again. We would much rather have a large wheeled recycling bin.

17. V. Moore says:

I want to keep the garbage & recycling as it is in the Elmwood/EK area. It is simple to put your containers
    (garbage cans, bags, or recycling boxes) at the back of the property the night before scheduled pick up and it is all gone next day. I put my emptiy contaners back in my yard with no mess or fuss to worry about. The large bins are too much for me to handle and bins at the corner are too far away and create a garbage dump 24/7 with inappropriate items being left in or nearby causing an eyesore and a place where mischievous imps can start fires cause other problems. Leave things as they are in my territory, they are good.

18. Tracy says:

I can't speak on the large garbage bins, as I am in the south end of the city, and we don't have those yet. Recycling, on the other hand, is a bit of a sore spot. For a family of two adults and one 12year old child, we FILL four recycling bins every collection cycle. I can't even being to tell you how many times I've come home from work to find that one or more of the bins hasn't been emptied because there's something in there that is too large (like a collapsed moving box, or Christmas packaging). This is cardboard/paper, and there is NO reason for this to be refused. I have gone as long as a MONTH putting the same item out over and over and over, all with no avail. The only way that box ended up leaving was when I shoved it in my garbage can. That being said, there is no reason why ALL plastics and ALL glass and ALL paper products can't be recycled. I'm referring to those cute ads on the transit buses saying we can't recycle your plastic bags – why on earth not? It's plastic, and recyclable plastic for that matter. Cracked or broken plastic bins should also be able to be recycled – but according to my pickup team, who leaves stuff in the middle of my driveway without labels as to why it was refused, that kind of plastic is not wanted. Really??? Since when is being picky about what you recycle a good thing? If the currently company is unable or unwilling to provide service in full, they should be replaced. I'm sure the city has clauses entered into the contracts to allow for such a thing.

• Judith S says:

They can't recycle the pastic bags because it jams up the machinery at the recycling plant and causes damage.

• Tanya says:

My understanding of Winnipeg's recycling company and the city is that there must be a market for the recycled items and because economics run most things in this world some things might be hard. I would again like to bring it back to the citizens of Winnipeg. Yes we can demand larger or different bins but we also need to change our actions as people, take responsibility and not blame it on the government.

• SpeakUpWinnipeg says:

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for your comments. If your blue box was not picked up, the collector should have left a notice with the material explaining why. If not, please call 311.

There are some special cases with the material that you mentioned. A lot of wrapping paper can’t be recycled because of how it’s manufactured. Cardboard needs to be flattened and cut down so that it’s no larger than 1 metre in any direction. Anything larger than that could become jammed in the sorting machinery at the recycling plant (See the tour here: http://garbage.speakupwinnipeg.com/2010/11/mrf-vi

See http://winnipeg.ca/waterandwaste/recycle/bluebox…. for more information on our blue box program

We don’t accept plastic shopping bags in our blue box because they would jam the machinery, but many grocery stores in Winnipeg will take them back. There’s a list of those stores available here: http://www.plastics.ca/Recycling/PlasticBags/Stor

Thanks for your feedback!

19. Steve says:

Maybe we should just stop all this save the planet and just recycle. maybe companies like coke pepsi, bring back the real glass bottles to use and refill instead of the throw away plastic bottles. there the ones who have created this mess. People also had jobs collecting the bottles and washing them. maybe big companies should be responsible for making reusable stuff.

• kim says:

I agree with u 100%
      I am from London Ontario where in the past many years we have recycled our pop cans. There is also a deposit on milk jugs so you never see these laying around on the ground. The next step was to put a deposit on all liquor bottles whether it is tetra packs for wine or rum bottles. When this started you never saw these discarded as people wanted the money. By doing this the garbage laying around went way down. As well many Londoners were big on recycling.

Maybe should be considered here

20. Karen McLachlan says:

Please watch ‘Humus: Forgotten Climate Aid’ TONIGHT March 8, at 8PM CT on Oasis HD TV. Check your guide for times – Oasis HD – Love Nature!

Everyone needs to watch this to understand the effects of garbage on the environment and how our lands are being depleted – excellent show that talks about Humus and Composting and the benefits of it to the landfill, environment, and planet. Excellent show!

21. Tanya says:

As a composter I am sad that composting is only 10 years away. A ban on organic matter entering landfills should happen soon. And yes a ban on organic matter, this forces the city to implement a compost plan. If we wait 10 years until a city wide composting program starts we will be creating and letting off methane gas for another 20 years. Sooner the better. Decrease waste pick ups and alternate between garbage and organics. I know I making it sound simple and its not but many other cities and places are already doing this with a little effort.

22. Tanya says:

On another note, if composting is only in the plans within the next 10 years there are a number of winnipeg neighbourhood groups that are diverting a significant amount of organic waste, St Matthew/Daniel Mac, Spence Neighbourhood Association and West Broadway to name a few. If it is a priority I am sure funding to allow continued waste diversion would be welcome and show people that you are serious about organics.

23. Chris says:

We recycle in our home and I would like to see the big recycle bins. It would make it easier to get to the curb and with a truck emptying it the bin may last longer. I do not have the garbage bins in my area but would like to know if they have cut down on cost and waste of the bins themselves. I know both my larger blue box I have purchased and the wheeling garbage can I purchased continue to be broken by those who pick up the refuse and abuse the bins. It is very frustrating to throw out a bin every 2 month due to abuse. I would like to see aprogram when bins are provied and if broken by workers swapped out at no cost to home owner. I know this would have a cost to the waste program but maybe it would also make the employees more accountable.
    The other thing I would be interested in is a composting program. I wouldn't even mind having to drop it off somewhere versus having it picked up as long as I don't have to drive to the other side of the city to do it. I think I could cut the garbage going to my curb by anothe 20-30%. Putting a composting bin in my back yard would not resolve my problem as the bin fills fast and takes time to break down the waste.

• Tanya says:

You can recycle your recycling bins.

• SpeakUpWinnipeg says:

Hi Chris,

Yes, Automated Cart collection does save on costs compared to manual or AutoBin collection. Since the Automated Carts were introduced in Northwest Winnipeg, the amount of garbage being collected has decreased 20%.

Thanks!

• Judith S says:

If your recycling boxes are broken by the crews you can call and request they replace them. I think they'll do it at least once…

24. Martha says:

We have a garbage bin and I really like it. At first I thought it was going to take up too much room because it supposedly holds two and a half times the garbage of a regular can. But it doesn't seem to take up much more room than one regular can and it is really easy to wheel out to the curb – - especially in snow. I'd love to have a similar easy-to-wheel recycling bin.

I find that the bin is plenty large for our garbage. I can sometimes wait for two weeks and still not have it full. The only complaint I have is that this past Christmas our garbage day happened to fall on Friday, Dec. 24th, and because of the Christmas and New Year's holidays, we didn't get a pick-up again until Wed. Jan. 4th. This meant that all of the garbage from both Christmas and New Year's had only the one bin to go into. And since we had lots of family visiting, with four in diapers, this was impossible to do. It seems unfair to whoever happens to hit that unfortunate day in the garbage cycle. I think something should be done to put in extra pick-up, or have the old trucks come around and pick up the old style bins in the week between Christmas and New Years so that people can get rid of all of that extra garbage they have in that week only. It doesn't make sense to have to buy another bin to cover that once a year situation.

Also, I think you need to have a few more lawn and garden pick-ups in the spring and fall. Twice each season isn't quite enough. What I would love to see is for the City to go back to the system of leaf pick-up they used to use back in the 70s – - the big vacuum trucks with the long hoses that just sucked the leaves up off the boulevard from the piles left by homeowners. No plastic bags to laboriously have to fill. No plastic bags that go into the landfill. The leaves could go straight to composting. It was the perfect system and I don't know why the City got rid of it.

25. Rita & Brian says:

We live in the west end of the city and are "very" pleased with our garbage cart…it fits our needs and if in the future it does not we will upgrade to a larger one…it is so easy to wheel to the curb, even in snow…and is secure enough that animals can not tip it over…and on pick up day it is nice to look down our street and see all the carts lined up & not the eye sore we just to see with bags, etc, and garbage blowing all over the place…now please give us a recycling cart of the same size…we fill 2 recyling boxes a week and they are a pain to take out, along with the fact so much in them flys out when pick up happens…thanks for the garbage carts..and fingers crossed recyling carts are not far behind!

26. Brian says:

I am disappointed that the City issued garbage bins are so small. I have a family of four and frequently do not have enough room in the bin. Since I have moved into the west end of Winnipeg, I have made frequent trips to the dump, just to dump the garbage that does not fit in the bin. Each household should be issued at least 2 bins, or make the bins much larger. This would discourage illegal dumping. Why are there so many heaps of recyclables at Brady Landfill? How much money does it cost to ship recyclables out of the province to be processed? Is the City of Winnipeg profiting enough to self fund this program? How much fossil fuel is being burned to re-cycle?

• Laya says:

I honestly believe that houses of four shouldnt need 2 bins why maybe because people need to think of what to recycle, and what to throw into the garbage. I live in a family of four, and we have 2 garbage bags and 3 blue boxes.

• Judith S says:

You need to take a look at what you're throwing away because you have to be adding to the 'heaps of recycables at Brady Landfill' if a cart that can hold 3 garbage bags isn't large enough! Or maybe take a look at what you're buying? look at buying products with less packaging…?

• SpeakUpWinnipeg says:

Brian,

The cart selected for residents was sized to account for a typical family of four that recycles. If a resident finds the volume inadequate, they can contact 311 to request a larger or second cart, however, there is an annual fee for the extra volume.

The cost of shipping material to be recycled is taken into account when it is sold. Material is shipped when there are no local markets and it makes financial sense. The net cost of recycling was approximately $13 per household in 2009. In comparison, the cost for garbage collection was approximately $61 per household.

Using recycled material generally uses a lot less energy than new materials. For example, recycled Aluminum uses 96% less energy and boxboard (cereal boxes) 43% less energy.

Thanks!

• Dan says:

My family of 6 can barely fill a bag of garbage per week. We do compost which definitely plays a role in the amount we take to the curb. In the end, we know what can be recycled and think smartly before buying things we don't need. It still confuses me to see even how a family of 4 can fill up one of those carts. They're huge! The only way I see those filling up is when a family has McDonalds takeout everyday and Tim Horton's coffee every morning. Think about what you're buying. We need to treat the source, not only the end result.

27. Lola says:

In my thinking, those who don't recycle, don't see the value in doing so, or don't see the personal benefit to outweigh the perceived inconvenience. We need to put a value of some kind on these items to make it beneficial for those who are least likely to recycle.

I lived in Regina for a number of years and was very impressed with SARCAN, an organization: http://www.sarcsarcan.ca/sarcan/index.php which pays consumers (or anyone) a small amount for returning recyclable beverage containers. Let me tell you, it really encourages those who are least likely to recycle for altruistic reasons (especially those on the economic fringe). It creates an economy around this resource. People save up their recyclables at home, and take them in for a small payment. Not really profitable for the mainstream but for those without other income, who show the initiative to go through the dumpsters and collect what others have discarded, they have turned it into slightly profitable work (much better than nothing for some! and it cleans up the city and diverts waste!). SARCAN is staffed largely by people with intellectual disabilities, so it also provides training, jobs, pride and independence for lots of people all over the province.

At first I thought it was a bit distasteful that there was this sort of underground economy of garbage pickers, but this is the reality of the situation. It really gets you thinking about garbage – sure it's dirty and distasteful, but it belongs to all of us and why should it not have real value? We paid for it at the store, why can't we get some of that money back as consumers?

I'm not sure whether this system could completely replace the curbside pickup system in place here (which was not offered in Regina at the time), but I can see a lot of benefits, and it certainly creates jobs, economic benefits, and an incentive to recycle.

I would also like to see a tax imposed on nonrecyclable items like plastic packaging and housewares that have a short usable lifespan, and things like particle board furniture to help reflect the burden it puts on the system. I would also love to see health Canada more fully regulate alot of the plastic items from places like the dollar store, which are likely contaminated with lead, thereby diverting a lot more waste and contamination of our groundwater with chemicals.

To me the most difficult issue is the large garbage. I live in Wolseley and there are lots of people in my neighbourhood who don't have cars and have no other way of getting rid of large items if it weren't for our large autobins. I really like the large item trading days, but wish they were more often as I always seem to be out of town at the time and of course it doesn't work in the winter. We have a bin behind our house and people pile junk beside it all the time, which seldom is picked up by BFI. This is a big issue for us, because it makes our house look messy.

Regarding the metal autobins or the plastic wheelie bins but I would imagine the steel bins last longer, and they will withstand a fire and can be repainted and have the tops replaced, whereas the plastic ones will not. Are the plastic bins easily recyclable? I have lived in cities that have the plastic bins and when you come out one morning and it looks like a truck has run into them and the wheel is broken you are in trouble because it will no longer roll and the city won't rush to replace them. To me this seems like just another way for Rubbermaid to sell more plastics, rather than use a more recyclable material like steel. So my vote is for the steel autobins.

Thanks for the opportunity to contribute! :)

• fedup says:

We have autobins in our lanes. members of our residents asso. have found them to be the most efficient way of keeping garbage contained. They are heavy, & can't be easily moved, garbage pickers can't get inside , We report to 311 regarding grafitti, broken lids, etc. and it is repaired. But, one of the best reasons is that it only requires a walk to the bins, lift the lid and deposit your garbage. No wheeling a plastic cart out , no problem in the winter getting the wheels to move in deep snow, roomy enough for most neighbors weekly deposits, and of course, no chance of the bins being stolen. "wheelie bins" are easily stolen, broken, run over, vandalized by kids, moved up the lane, and some seniors have to ask for help from others to get their bins out at the proper time. Also, if the above events happen to the wheelie bins, it is ridiculous to expect the public to pay $85 for a new one. If a resident is targeted and has their bin stolen often? They must pay over and over. Rather ridiculous & expensive.

• Faraway says:

It's true..those that don't recycle currently, probably won't….I just moved here from Southern California…in the city where I lived, residents were given three large bins on wheels (Green for yard waste, Black for household garbage, and blue for recyclables)…if your recycle bin was empty for more than three weeks in a row you would be fined by the city. That got a lot of attention and was a good motivator.

28. Steph says:

My parents have another home in Florida and at their place their recycling cart is just as large (maybe even a bit bigger) as their garbage cart, which is the same size as ours (I have garbage cart). I think introducing a recycling cart is a great idea. I live in a family of two and we generally have 2 grocery store sized bags of garbage in our cart each week but our 2 recycling bins are both usually overflowing.
    While I strongly support this idea and recycling I believe for the goal of 50% of Manitobans recycling, you need to make some sort of incentive for people.

• Aaron says:

A simple incentive would be to give out prizes randomly (say $500 a month) to households that actually recycle. This kind of small prizes for recycling would push the recycling rate up, especially if there was a larger grand prize once a year. Manitobans love to gamble and the great thing about it is that its addictive.

Better yet the prize could be only for households meeting a certain diversion percentage. I think this would be much more effective than more ad campaigns.

• Tanya says:

I think that incentives are ok, but their have been studies that show it doesn't improve participation more than social influences and education. We need education that can personally relate garbage issues with every Winnipeg resident.

On another note. Recycling is not going to save the world or Winnipeg from environmental changes. It still uses a lot of resources by reprocessing and transportation. We seem to forget that their are 3 R's and only think about focusing. We need more resources that we can reuse over and over again in our homes or work places. And reduce our consumption behaviour.

29. Dan says:

We would like to recycle more ,but what is the use when the people that are supposed to pick up the recycling dump a lot of it in the back lane.

30. charlene says:

Here in our area we don't even have room to put shoveled snow. where are we suppose to put these bins? seriously! Plus the mattress and old furniture the that can be found beside the dumpsters in the North End will still be thrown there. If people are disposing of there items like that now, giving them smaller bins that they have to tend to is not going to solve any problems. After the small bins are stolen (or go missing) in the rougher neighborhoods think for a moment, how will people then dispose of there garbage. This idea might work for neighborhoods where people are already caring about the area.

• Tanya says:

People care about their neighbourhood all over the city. I believe that there are other issues and challenges that lead people to disgarding their mattresses and old furniture beside dumpsters, its not because they don't care. When you bike, walk or take the bus, try getting rid of your mattress.

31. Don Halligan says:

The new large bins are just great; however, it is difficult to fit in large items sometines. It may be better to increase recycling items, if possible, The bins look cleaner, without garbage blowing around, discarded on streets, etc. Kuddos to the City.

32. C. Allen says:

The consultant's options report is a good synopsis of what was discussed in phase one of this process. I'm glad it reflects the will of the vast majority of those who participated alongside good common sense for the long term. I do hope implementation starts this year. If you have ever watched the TV show, "Trashopolis," you can see what other jurisdictions have done right and wrong throughout history. I hope Winnipeg's plan comes out on the "right" side of our own trash history. It's about time.