EXPO: What’s Your vision?

On November 25, 2010, in Expo, Speaking Up, by Justin

Participants offering their visions of Garbage Service

At the SpeakUp on Garbage Expo, we asked:

What is your vision for the future of garbage and recycling services in Winnipeg?

Read the visions that were shared with us that day and comment below to share your vision with us!

Tagged with:

Comments for this post are now closed.

16 Responses to EXPO: What’s Your vision?

1. Laya says:

i also believe we need to get the right people in the city at the water and waste department to get the ball rolling to get this all put in place. hello is 2011 get the plan and do it. start something you will learn from your mistakes but get to it.

2. Laya says:

my thought on whats my vision well lets just say that Winnipeg needs to get with the times, it is 2011 and we are so behind with everything. look at the following websites… vancouver is so ahead of the times that winnipeg is lagging so far behind it is really sad for this province

3. Pat says:

I'll be delighted when the autobin next to our driveway is taken away. People drop oversize garbage beside it (in our driveway), I've seen contractors pull up and fill it with paint cans and construction material, it attracts dumpster divers who leave the bags open, and since one of the lids is missing, that attracts crows who feast on the contents. In summer it's full of flies and within hours after I tried to clean it last summer, somebody came along and dumped in the remains of a fruit tray, bagless. One neighbour uses it to dispose of dog doo, also bagless. If you don't have one of these eyesores directly behind your house, you may not notice the mess and stench, but I'm always worried it's going to attract bigger pests.

4. Kira says:

After working as a waitress in various restaurants over the part five years, I have been continuously disheartened to learn that no restaurant I have worked for had any sort of recycling plan (even those that appear rather progressive in terms of the products they offer). In the past I have seen stacks of newspapers thrown away nightly because it simply wasn't a viable option for the company to pay for another city service.

My vision for a garbage master plan would include free or reduced-cost recycling pick up from businesses (specifically the restaurant industry, as that is the only one I can personally speak for) to encourage these businesses to take advantage of the service. I have brought the situation up with every manager I have worked for and every one has said they would like to recycle, but they can't afford to pay for the service and still turn a decent profit. In such a highly competitive and profit-oriented system there needs to be incentives for these businesses to change their ways.

5. Sara says:

My vision would be to see how the City is planning to evaluate the automated cart garbage collection. I'd like to know what factors they are looking at, and how the neighbourhoods with automated carts are doing.

For example, do they reduce the amount of garbage on the streets and backlanes? Are people able to use them as intended? What impact have they had on the cost of garbage collection in those areas? Are people throwing away more/fewer recyclables in those areas?

• Elsie says:

I love the automated carts, it keeps all the garage off the backlanes and the piles of bags of garbage along the street in front. In my area we have back lanes and pick-up. There are apartments across the street and the tenants roll out their bins to the street. This makes it clean and neat. The problem is a lot of the people do not recycle, thus they say the roll out black bins are not big enough. They throw everything into the black bin. I am in favour of blue roll out bins for recyling in addition to the black garbage bins. This would encourage people to recyle.

6. E. Wideman says:

Why is it they sell large recyling boxes but refuse to pick them up. I asked for a new recyling box for my Birthday
    My kids making min wage got me a super large one and the recycling girl refuses to pick it up. It doesn't weight more then 5 pounds, what's the deal?

7. Alf & Linda Poetker says:

I realize that one size does not fit all. Here is the size that fits us. Two people, single family residence, Fort Garry. We average one 65 L garbage can per week, half full; one blue box per week, recycling everything that is accepted in Winnipeg; and we compost as much as we can. Also, we are in a garden club so grow about half of the vegetables that we need, and have dwarf fruit trees in our backyard. With garden and leaf waste, our two composters are well used. So we don't need large garbage and recycle bins. The present system works well. We would like to see plastic bag recycling – we are collecting the "Free Press" bags and packaging bags, hoping for a recycle program in the near future. Keep up the annual, subsidized compost bin distribution. Spring and fall yard waste collection for composting would be welcome as many people put out piles of bags – too many to haul to the collection depots without a truck. The periodic collection of e-waste is welcomed. How about multiple depots for hazardous waste collection, even on a periodic basis. We used the one and only when it was close; driving across the city is counter productive. Thanks for listening.

• SpeakUpWinnipeg says:

Hello, thanks for sharing that with us.

The City currently does not have a program for recycling plastic shopping bags, but there are a number of stores in Winnipeg which collect them for recycling. A list is available here on the Multi-Materials Stewardship Manitoba website:

Thanks again!

8. Robert Basham says:

As a 24 year homeowner in Wolseley, I find the current garbage pickup system using autobins fully satisfactory. I don't see the wisdom of imposing a single system on the entire city. I have seen and spoken to people closer to Portage Ave. who had wheeled carts thrust on them. It is not well suited to our winters and the walls of ice and snow created by plowing streets and sidewalks. The autobins are more durable. On recycling, the problem is the lack of provisions for organic waste, hazardous items and used electronics. What there is assumes everyone has a car at their disposal. Many do not and use Winnipeg Transit instead.

• SpeakUpWinnipeg says:

Hi Robert, thanks a lot for your feedback. If the City were to collect organic, household hazardous waste and electronics, do you have any thoughts as to how you would like to see that happen?

• Aaron says:

The city could have a designated day (maybe once a year per area) during which residents could put out their household hazardous waste and electronics for pickup by a specialized truck.

Or a trailer could be brought to a designated spot in each neighborhood (maybe once a year) for people to walk over an drop off their special wastes. The trailer could have different bins for each of the common types of wastes and maybe even have an attendant to help people get things in to the right compartments.

9. Cal Kendall, S.F.O. says:

Correction:

Despite immediately after speaking even submitting to those in charge a hard copy of the body of the vision comment I had made at the garbage "Expo", the body of my comment was not accurately recorded in the transcript PDF.

For the record:

30 Second Garbage Expo Comment

In the long run, the planet as is is passed. In the medium run, geopolitical forces are the imminent danger, not Winnipeg using landfills. In the short run, scrap the wheelie bins and cap on garbage foisted on those of us from not in the southern part of the city, and give us back garbage collection service like that in the southern part of the city. Do the arithmetic; fully monetize all the direct and indirect costs to the citizenry caused by wheelie bins. Wheelie bins cost us more than the City saves by offloading its legitimate garbage handling costs onto the public.

I had opened my vision comment with clearly stating my name, Calvin Kendall, and stating that it is that I be a Secular Franciscan. I proceeded to commented on how I had been "green" long before I knew I was, as my parents and grandparents had lived through the 1930's and had taught me to be frugal and a good steward. After which I said "But…", and read verbatim the body of my vision comment, with, right after "… In the short run," and before "scrap the wheelie bins and cap on garbage…", interjecting that I live in Meadowview and as such have to deal with an "automated" garbage cart and "automated" garbage collection.

I humbly apologize for the long post.

Thank you kindly for your precious time and valuable undivided attention.

Yours via my Vocation,
    Calvin E. Kendall, S.F.O.

10. Pam Tonsaker says:

Read many of the comments and it seems that two things really stand out, and these are observations only – lacking composting and asking for it, and the amount of garbage in this city, on the streets, downtown etc. It is obvious that something is drastically lacking in our city and if we can take pride in our city, doesn't that include our garbage too?

Love the idea of compost bins being clear plastic, but would the driver really notice? Or would he/she care?

My daughter lives downtown in one of the major high rises and when at home we composted as she grew up with and she misses it now. She feels guilty because she can't compost at the apartment block. But, what is stopping an apartment block that has flower beds and the desire from doing so? Didn't one state that this is being done at a apartment block now? You will also be building newer apartments and commercial buildings with green roofs so why can't we try a compost roof? Is that possible?If you want the garbage to decrease you have to start with the young and educate, educate and educate. If many of our young adults live in apartments start composting areas at the apartment blocks. It would definitely reduce what is going into the landfill.

Also noticed in many comments that the lack of knowledge of what is our there for hazardous waste materials etc, and perhaps we need a building in each quarter of the city, and also at these places we could drop off compost/ organic etc. Maybe it is time for the city and province to join together in a joint organic, environmental, composting building or program so we can decrease the amount of garbage going to Brady landfill.

We compost and recycle more than we throw out garbage, and the present blue boxes work for the two of us. We really don't need a large wheeled container, and is it possible to have attachments or handles put on the present blue boxes for the new automated systems to use? If people were responsible before with their recycling they really don't need a lid. A size like this would be good for smaller homes.

• AJS says:

Pam,
      Like your daughter I felt guilty when I lived in an apartment, so I took my organics to my parents backyard bin that was only 3 blocks away. Maybe there are community composters or someone near-by willing to share their composer with your daughter. There are other options besides hauling it to another location or Vermicomposting, each method has pluses and minuses. You could suggest Bokashi which is a bacterial culture in a pail, or a more expensive but less messy and hands on composting method is to buy a composting appliance like a Nature Mill or a Red Dragon (GG-02), lots of great reviews by users, although I've never used one myself. One of the biggest problems I have heard from apartment dwellers who compost is that eventually you have finished compost (soil) and with no yard and limited house plants it still needs to be carried somewhere even if it is just to flower-beds on the building grounds.